Job one for TV broadcasters at the 2017 NAB Show will be planning for the TV spectrum repack, which is upon them.
A close second will be next-gen TV service based on the ATSC 3.0 standard.
While reimbursements from the $1.75 billion Broadcast Relocation Fund may not be used to upgrade the RF infrastructure of stations beyond what exists today, decisions made about the technology to be deployed and whether or not to incur added expenses, which stations will pay themselves for next-gen TV while repacking, must soon be made.
At the 2017 NAB Show and at the 2017 PBS TechCon, there will be a cornucopia of sessions devoted to both topics.
What follows is list of NAB Show and PBS TechCon sessions that address the repack directly.
A special effort has been made to separate repack sessions from those related to ATSC 3.0 for your convenience when planning your visit to Las Vegas. However, there may be some overlap. If your primary interest is the ATSC 3.0, I have segregated those sessions on a separate blog post found here.
Of course, more details are available about the repack sessions on the NAB Show website and the PBS TechCon website.
PBS TechCon 2017 (Caesars Palace)
- “Planning for TV Spectrum Repacking and the Transition to ATSC 3.0,” Friday, April 21, 11-11:50 a.m.
- “Spectrum Repack Planning Conversation,” Friday, April 21, 1:30-2:20 p.m.
2017 NAB Show Broadcast Engineering and Information Technology Conference
- “Sinclair’s 3.0 Vision – The Future of Broadcasting,” Saturday, April 22, 10:15-10:55 a.m., LVCC N262-N264.
- “Planning for TV Spectrum Repacking and the Transition to ATSC 3.0,” Sunday, April 23, 10:30-11 a.m., LVCC N260.
- “Sinclair Broadcast Group Update on Repack and ATSC 3.0,” Monday, April 24, 9:30-9:45 a.m., LVCC N235-N237.
- “An Advanced Slot Antenna Design Method to Facilitate the Repack,” Tuesday, April 25, 2:30-3 p.m., LVCC N256.
- “Very-Sharp Filter Enhanced Compensation in ATSC 1.0 & ATSC 3.0,” Tuesday, April 25, 3-3:30 p.m., LVCC N256.
- “Building an Advanced Customizable RF Transmission System at One World Trade Center,” Wednesday, April 26, 9-10 a.m., LVCC N258.
- “Temporary TV Antennas Streamline Main Antenna Change-Out,” Wednesday, April 26, 10-10:30 a.m., LVCC N258.
- “Pre-Spectrum Repack RF Plant Readiness – Overview and Case Study,” Wednesday, April 26, 11-11:30 a.m., LVCC N258.
Others of Interest
- “The 115th Congressional Update: The Future of Broadcast Policy” – Business of Broadcast, Monday, April 24, 4-5 p.m., LVCC N253.
- “FCC Chairman’s Keynote” – Business of Broadcast, General Session, Tuesday, April 25, 9-10 a.m., LVCC N249-N251.
- “Repacking: Do We Have Enough Nuts and Bolts?” – Business of Broadcast, Tuesday, April 25, 10:15-11:15 a.m., LVCC N255.