TV broadcasters attending the 2017 NAB Show will travel to Las Vegas with two industry-transforming topics in mind: TV spectrum repack and the approaching rollout of next-gen TV based on the ATSC 3.0 standard.
Like it or not, the two are intertwined -so much so that at times it can be tough to tell where one topic begins and the other ends.
That’s especially true when it comes to the nitty-gritty of the technical decisions to be made about transmitters, antennas and other RF infrastructure for the repack.
While broadcasters are not allowed to pay for the expense of ATSC 3.0 deployment with reimbursements from the $1.75 billion broadcast relocation fund authorized by Congress, they won’t want to make a decision about moving to a new channel assignment without considering how to do so in a way that’s consistent with their business goals for next-gen TV service.
What follows is list of NAB Show and PBS TechCon sessions that address ATSC 3.0 directly, or in some cases, such as FCC Chairman Ajit Pai’s keynote, are likely to include important information relevant to next-gen TV.
Besides sessions, the NAB Show will offer special events and pavilions devoted to ATSC 3.0, which are also listed.
A special effort has been made to separate ATSC 3.0 sessions and events from those related to the repack for your convenience when planning your visit to Las Vegas. However, there may be some overlap. If your primary interest is the repack, I have segregated those sessions on a separate blog post found here.
Of course, more details about the sessions, pavilions and other ATSC 3.0 happenings are available on the NAB Show website and the PBS TechCon website.
ATSC 3.0 Conferences – Broadcast Engineering and Information Technology Conference at the Las Vegas Convention Center
- “Sinclair’s 3.0 Vision – The Future of Broadcasting,” Saturday, April 22, 10:15-10:55 a.m., LVCC N262-N264.
- “Transmission Site Planning for ATSC 3.0,” Sunday, April 23, 9:30-10 a.m., LVCC N260.
- “Practical SFNs for ATSC 3.0,” Sunday, April 23, 10-10:30 a.m., LVCC N260.
- “Planning for TV Spectrum Repacking and the Transition to ATSC 3.0,” Sunday, April 23, 10:30-11 a.m., LVCC N260.
- “An ATSC 3.0 Test Station Grows in Cleveland,” Sunday, April 23, 11-11:30 a.m., LVCC N260.
- “Nielsen Watermarks over ATSC 3.0,” Sunday, April 23, 11:30-Noon, LVCC N260.
- “ATSC 3.0 Boosting the Signal Strength – MISO,” Sunday, April 23, Noon-12:30 p.m., LVCC N260.
- “Implications and Optimization of Coverage and Payload for ATSC 3.0,” Sunday, April 23, 1:30-2 p.m., LVCC N260.
- “A Broadcaster Successful Re-Pack, ”Sunday, April 23, 2-2:30 p.m., LVCC N260.
- “Realities of ATSC 3.0 SFNs in the FCC Regulatory Environment Making Them Work,” Sunday, April 23, 2:30-3 p.m., LVCC N260.
- “Unifying the Future of TV,” Sunday, April 23, 3-3:30 p.m., LVCC N260.
- “Single Frequency Networks (SFN) to Increase the Efficiency of ATSC 3.0’s Broadcast Infrastructure,” Sunday, April 23, 3:30-4 p.m., LVCC N260.
- “Hidden Depths: ATSC 3.0 Frequency Sharing and Regionalization Explained,” Sunday, April 23, 4-4:30, LVCC N260.
- “Getting ATSC 3.0 On-Air in Korea,” Sunday, April 23, 4:30-5 p.m., LVCC N260.
- “Sinclair Broadcast Group Update on Repack and ATSC 3.0,” Monday, April 24, 9:30-9:45 a.m., LVCC N235-N237.
- “Adaptive Polarization Technology,” Tuesday, April 25, 1:30-2 p.m., LVCC N256.
- “ATSC 3.0 Coverage Study,” Tuesday, April 25, 3:30-4 p.m., LVCC N256.
Other NAB Show Sessions of Interest
- “The 115th Congressional Update: The Future of Broadcast Policy” – Business of Broadcast Track, Monday, April 24, 4-5 p.m., N253.
- “FCC Chairman’s Keynote” – Business of Broadcast Track/General Session, Tuesday, April 25, 9-10 a.m., N249-N251.
- “DTV: The Next Generation” – Business of Broadcast Track, Tuesday, April 25, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., LVCC N255.
- “Addressable TV – “How Data & Analytics Enable Advertisers to Improve ROI” – Media Finance and Investment Program Track,” Tuesday, April 25, 2:05-2:50 p.m., N238-N240.
- “Broadcasting Beyond HD: Global Plans for Next Generation Television presented by FOBTV” – Business of Broadcast Track, Tuesday, April 25, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
PBS TechCon 2017 at Caesars Palace
- “Why ATSC 3.0 is Good for PBS Stations,” Wednesday, April 19, 5:40-6:20 p.m.
- “Next2 Gen Connections: Preparing for Next, Next Generation TV and Digital Opportunities,” Thursday, April 20, 8:30-9:20 a.m.
- “A Broadcasters Guide To The AC-4 Audio System for Broadcast & OTT,” Thursday, April 20, 1:30-2:20 p.m.
- “5G: Transforming the Media and Entertainment Experience,” Thursday, April 20, 2:30-3:20 p.m.
- “ATSC 3.0 Signaling and Announcements Tutorial,” Thursday, April 20, 2:30-3:20 p.m.
- “Night Owl Evening Session: Practical ATSC 3.0 Single Frequency Networks,” Thursday, April 20, 7-8 p.m.
- “Let’s Get Physical! (In ATSC 3.0),” Friday, April 21, 9-10:20 a.m.
- “Emerging Standard in HD and UHD High Dynamic Range,” Friday, April 21, 11-11:50 a.m.
- “Planning for TV Spectrum Repacking and the Transition to ATSC 3.0,” Friday, April 21, 11-11:50 a.m.
- “How ATSC 3.0 and Centralization in the Cloud Will Enable the Next Generation of Playout,” Friday, April 21, 1:30-2:20 p.m.
- “Advanced Emergency Alerting – A Compelling ATSC 3.0 Application,” Friday, April 21, 3-3:50 p.m.,
- “Revenue Potential with the ATSC 3.0 Lighthouse Deployment Model,” Friday, April 21, 3-350 p.m.
Pavilions & Special Features
Advanced Advertising Pavilion in the North Hall of the LVCC
- “Unlocking Revenue In A Data Enabled TV Ecosystem” Monday, April 24, 3-3:45 p.m.
- “Mobile Video is the New Influencer: Top Trends & How to Master Them” Wednesday, April 26, 3-3:45 p.m.
ATSC 3.0 Pavilion
- Monday, April 24 – Thursday, April 27 in the 2017 Futures Park, North Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center
- Exhibitors in ATSC 3.0 Pavilion: BBC, BitRouter, DekTek Digital Video, Dolby/Telos Alliance/Source Digital, ENENSYS Technologies, Harmonic, NERC/SJTU, Triveni Digital, UniSoft Corp.
Next-Gen TV Hub
- Monday, April 24 – Thursday, April 27, in the Grand Lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center;
- 4K UHD TV transmitted OTA from KLSV-LD on Black Mountain in Las Vegas and received on an LG Electonics UHD TV with integrated ATSC 3.0 tuner; OTA reception for automotive and telematics;
- HIghlights to look for: Better picture, immersive audio, accessibility, hybrid broadcast and broadband mobility, addressable advertising, audience measurement, advanced emergency alerting;
- Collaboration of NAB, CTA, ATSC; sponsored by Pearl TV, Sinclair Broadcast Group, LG Electronics and others.