The guide, Go 2 Repack: An Expert Guide to Technology and Logistics, provides practical advice and information on a wide range of issues the vast majority of full-power TV broadcasters must face as they enter the repack.
The FCC has estimated some 1,200 stations will be affected by the repack. When done, 84 MHz of spectrum, affecting channels 38 through 51, will be cleared for the wireless industry’s use.
Among the topics covered are:
- An overview of the repack
- Repack impact on LPTV and TV Translator stations
- Determining the necessity of tower strengthening
- Transmitter technology, including Doherty amplification, liquid cooling, station dummy loads, ATSC 3.0 readiness and temporary transmitter systems
- Installation preparation
- Planning to replace RF systems
- Antenna selection for the repack and beyond
- Antennas decisions for ATSC 3.0
- Defending a station’s coverage footprint
- ATSC 3.0 standard explanation
Sections of the guide are authored by RF experts from a variety of vendors. They include: Graziano Casale, account manager, broadcast and media, Rohde & Schwarz; Michael Couzens, VP, legal affairs, National Translator Association; Olaf Farhrenkroog, technical sales manager, Rohde & Schwarz; Ted Collora, SVP, Hanson Professional Services; Dan Fallon, senior RF engineer, Dielectric; Dave Benco, director of television sales, Electronics Research Inc.; Cory Edwards, sales manager, Dielectric; Casey Joseph, VP of sales and business development, LS Telecom; and Jerry Fritz, EVP for strategic and legal affairs, ONE Media.
The guide is available as a free PDF download from Rohde & Schwarz. Registration is required to download the document, and the link is at the bottom of the right-hand column under “Downloads” at the bottom of the web page.